Welcome

Following the crowning of my NHS experience with a stint at a PCT and the resulting redundancy (traumatic, though much wanted and worked for), my husband and I are going back to my roots near a small village in Smaland, Sweden. These are our experiences.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Bird feeding

Like a good wildlife friendly eco person, with delusional tendencies, I decided to feed the birds during the winter.  Last winter they just got a few fat balls hung up outside the kitchen window.  This year I decided to buy 3 feeders and a bag of wild bird food.  After banging in a couple of poles and putting a washing line up, I pegged the feeders out and now have a somewhat saggy, though artistically pleasing (delusional remember!), bird feeding line.  I congratulate myself on unaccustomed foresight when putting this line over the flower bed.  There is now a whole 5kg bag worth of husks scattered over the ground and I can now dig them into the bed!  Result.  I admit that the idea was more for home delivery guano, but I'll take what I can get.
What I didn't reckon on was the fussiness of the birds.  At first I bought Wild Bird Food.  As I would be feeding wild birds...  So they went through it with a fine tooth comb tossing out any wheat/barley seed, keeping the hemp for later and scarfing the sunflower seeds.  Obviously they aren't doing the Caveman Diet and I have less of a flower bed, more a cereal field, though we shall see how many sunflower seeds survived.
Now I just buy Sunflower Seeds for Birds, though I haven't yet got to the stage of getting the ready husked ones!
Think I'll plant sunflowers in the bed this year, they'll look nice above the barley...

No comments:

Post a Comment