Welcome

Following the crowning of my NHS experience with a stint at a PCT and the resulting redundancy (traumatic, though much wanted and worked for), my husband and I are going back to my roots near a small village in Smaland, Sweden. These are our experiences.

Monday, June 24, 2013

The Tattooed Elk Totters into the world

Today is the start of a new life for me.  Yes, that's another new life.  I must admit that I'm not sure how many I can take, but am working on the cat theory at the moment.

Today is the day when the Tattooed Elk, my little company, takes its first step into the real world.  I'm going to convert the old mission hall here, in the hamlet, to a cafe and art gallery to open next year, but in the meanwhile, I've had the opportunity to run a summer cafe in the old spinnery in Habo, starting today and finishing 11th August.

Consequently I've been baking and have run out of freezer space!  I'm hoping I'll have time to get something baked fresh every day as it opens at 11am and I get up at 6am.  After 2 years of not working it's a bit daunting to say the least, which is why I'm writing this at 3:45 in the morning instead of getting a good night's sleep.  Still, we'll see how it goes and if  all else fails, I can always go and buy loads of doughnuts and flog them for sixpence.

The tax office here has a somewhat different attitude to the one in the UK, where they are just basically interested in taking your money.  Here you are categorised, percentaged and they want to see things like contracts and know about your experience before they give you permission to start a business.

If you're wondering about my experience, I helped out at a cafe when I was a student.....it was a long time ago. Not sure that getting your bottom pinched as a silver service waitress counts, but hey, it was a hospital cafe!  Strange how life turns out.

1 comment: