Welcome

Following the crowning of my NHS experience with a stint at a PCT and the resulting redundancy (traumatic, though much wanted and worked for), my husband and I are going back to my roots near a small village in Smaland, Sweden. These are our experiences.

Friday, July 6, 2012

The proving of the bil

Oscar, my first car, was due his MOT, so I dutifully booked him in via the internet, as I’m terribly modern. We duly made our way 20km away , down the motorway, downer the big long hill into Jönköping and downest into the factory/warehouse region that housed the MOT centre.  After booking into the automachine in the somewhat scruffy unmanned office on the side, I waited with an old lady in the shade.  We exchanged a few ‘lovely weather’ comments and the registration plate number came up on the large board outside.  I, with it has to be said, with much trepidation, drove into the large garage area, got out and went to the coffee machine.  Oscar was hooked up to tubes, wires and general gubbins and the mechanics set to.  About 7 minutes later, much in the manner of a doctor coming to tell someone they had only a week to live, the mechanic came into the waiting area and said that the brake cables were gone and they were going to have to fail Oscar and I wouldn’t be allowed to drive away.  Well!  I was a bit taken aback to say the least.  However, common sense prevailed and sanity returned.
The little old lady gave me a lift to the station, bless her and I caught the bus 2 hours later back to Bottnaryd, where I happened to meet a neighbour  and cadged a lift back.  The marvellous BA and his family came to the rescue, despite going to a festival that evening and Graham and Jacob went to tow the car back to the garage at Bottnaryd last night.  I mused on the wisdom of going somewhere in flipflops and driving shoes that were no good for walking and mismatched clothes that were unsuitable for walking or display in town.  I will always now present a suitable image, no matter where I go and also be prepared to walk several miles.
Graham and I went there this afternoon to see what we could get sorted and found the garage was shut for July.  Hummmm, we’ve only got 4 weeks to get it sorted.  This could be fun.
(bilprovening = MOT)

No comments:

Post a Comment