Welcome

Following the crowning of my NHS experience with a stint at a PCT and the resulting redundancy (traumatic, though much wanted and worked for), my husband and I are going back to my roots near a small village in Smaland, Sweden. These are our experiences.

Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Saga Begins

It was with bright heart and strong loins girt that we packed the trailer and the van at the end of the month of summer, otherwise known as August, on Tues of the day.  This being the month of summer it was, of course, pelting it down.  Song was on our hearts as my warrior (that's Graham, chaps) and I, his lady, (me!!!) faced the M25 bravely and strong arms.  It was strength absolutely everywhere, which served us well when one of the trailer tires burst a bare mile from the turn off to Harwich. We leapt from our steed, girt with reflective yellow stuff and took off the wheel.  Well, Graham did, I just made encouraging noises from the side, which he couldn't hear, cos it isn't half noisy!
Anyway, it was then that Loki (look it up, it is a saga - durrhh) caused the mayhem for which he is justly famed.  The spare tire was in metric, the old trailer was imperial. Alas, and alack, a signal to the AA was sent and the chariot appeared in only 15min. 
I have to say they were very impressive.  Apparently the M25 is the most dangerous place in the UK, with a broken down car being hit within 60 minutes of stopping.  I didn't really like to ask if that the median or mean time and whether it clustered at night or bad weather, so my "gosh, I'm so impressed" noises were enough.
Missed the ferry, but no problems in rebooking for the Thursday.  One of the theories of the cause of the bursting tire was that it was too heavy, so I put at least 20 of my books in the bins at Thurrock Services.  I spent the next 2 days in therapy, whilst repacking the van.

At least the rest of the trip was completely uneventful.  Although it could be argued that a completely flat North Sea was an event in itself.  Denmark had temperatures of 29 degrees and was beautiful as was the bridge between Denmark and Sweden. 

We arrive at our new life 10pm on the Friday with heavy hearts and fewer books than expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment